NATIONAL PARKS EXPECTING A BUSY LABOR DAY WEEKEND
Inyo National Forest and and Devils Postpile are expecting a busy Labor Day Weekend. Like many parks and forests, they are seeing increased visitation this year. Some helpful tips for people planning to visit the Reds Meadow Valley and Devils Postpile over the Labor Day weekend have been offered according to Deanna Dulen and Kirstie Butler from the Park Service and Inyo National Forest. The mandatory shuttle system manages the limited parking available as well as the high visitation along the respectively narrow road into the valley.
Travelers are advised to:
- Pick up the shuttle from the Village at Mammoth or park at the Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge and purchase shuttle passes at the Main Lodge Gondola Building.
- The bus ride takes approximately 20-30 minutes each way. most visitors should allow a half-day or even a full day to enjoy and explore the area.
- Labor Day weekend will be crowded with more difficult parking at the Main Lodge with longer wait times at bus stops. to have a better visit, plan to come early in the morning and allow enough time in your day to visit these locations and plan waits at the stops into your schedule.
- Sunday is typically the busiest day. Try and plan your trip for alternative days and times of you want to have a quieter experience.
- Please note that the trail to the viewpoint of Rainbow Falls remains open, but the trail to the base of the falls is temporarily closed in order to complete needed trail work.